Friday, 18 December 2015

Favourite Christmas Films: Top 5


This was so difficult to do, because narrowing down my list of favourite Christmas films to a top 5 means cutting out ones that I really love. There are another 2/3 that so nearly made it to the list, and even as I'm writing this little introduction to the post I'm considering swapping them in or changing the blog post title to top 8! I love Christmas films, as you can probably already tell, and it just doesn't feel like the festive season until you begin watching and re watching all the Christmas films you own! I have been gradually making my way through the collection I have, and thought I'd share with you 5 of my favourites that you may or may not have heard of:

The Greatest Store in the World
I don't in fact own this film (hence why there's only 4 dvd's in the photo above!) - actually, not many people do because it's so flipping hard to get hold of! However, both my sister and I have watched this almost every year at Christmas time when it's been shown on tv. It was always one we loved, yet never could remember the name of, but when watching it for the first time in ages a couple of years ago, we noted the name down and have made it our mission to find a copy of it (let me know if you know where to get hold of one). The film is focused around a family, a Mum and her two young daughters, who find themselves without a home at Christmas, and end up living in a big department store. It's a really funny and warm film, with a great cast, like the wonderful Peter Capaldi, and features the band S Club 7 and their music! 

The Hogfather
As mentioned in my Christmas Q&A (here) I think this is my favourite Christmas film. It's not strictly speaking, a film, but in fact a two-part television adaptation of Terry Pratchett's novel 'The Hogfather'. The Hogfather is the Discworld's equivalent of Father Christmas, and in the story, her goes missing, meaning the character, Death, is forced to take over his duties, whilst Death's granddaughter, Susan, tries to find out what has happened and fix it. It is probably one of the most random stories, but I just love it, and it is a firm favourite of mine! 

Elf
I don't know anyone who hasn't at least heard of this Christmas film, and many of you will have already seen it, because I think it makes most people's Christmas film favourites list. However, if you are one of those people who hasn't seen it, I cannot recommend it enough, because Christmas just isn't Christmas without watching this film at least once! It is just so happy and festive, and has such a wonderful story whilst also being really funny. This film follows the story of Buddy the Elf, played by Will Ferrell, who after finding out he is in fact human, travels to New York in search of his real family, all the while spreading Christmas cheer to a world of cynics. Will Ferrell is just brilliant in this role, and I really can't rave about this enough- go watch it!!

The Holiday
I love this film so much!! If you're after a rom-com at Christmas, and also something that's not animated or aimed at families or children, then this film I'm sure will swiftly become one of your favourite Christmas films! The film is centered around 2 women, who pack up and temporarily swap homes for the Christmas break to escape bad relationships and heal heartbreak. We then watch as they build new relationships of friendship and romance in their new homes. This film has highs and lows, mixed with a few laugh-out-loud moments, and is lovely to watch at Christmas!

Love Actually
THIS FILM! My word it's so good! However, I must say now, this film is definitely not suitable for young audiences, and I believe the certificate is 15, so if you are younger, make sure you've checked it with your parents. This film takes you through so many different emotions, and even though I know what happens I still laugh out-loud and cry like it's the first time I've watched it. The cast is just brilliant as well, and although I only watched it a few days ago, writing this is already making me want to watch it again tonight! This film tells nine intertwined stories, all portraying and exploring the many different meanings of love. I cannot recommend this film enough, and again, Christmas just isn't complete for me if I haven't watched this film at least once! 

I hope you've enjoyed this post. I would love to know if any of you have seen these films, so leave a comment below for me! Also, let me know what your top 5 Christmas films are, and maybe I'll discover one I haven't seen already! 

-- AshCam

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Lovely post! I have never actually watched any of these! I may have watched elf but not in recent years! x

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

© AshCam. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig