Sunday, 14 September 2014

Gluten Free Product Reviews


Hello again, another week has gone by and I am ready to put up another post as promised. For this week's post I thought I would discuss a few Gluten Free products that I have found and tested throughout August and September. I'm hoping that this post can help any of you who are sticking to a Gluten-Free diet.

I will start off with DRINKS, and more specifically- Hot Chocolate.
Personally, I'm not a fan of coffee, or cappuccino, and although I like tea, I'm not a massive drinker of it. However, there is one hot drink I can't get enough of, and that is hot chocolate. Now, as I've mentioned in a previous post, I am a very fussy eater/drinker, and as part of my fussy-ness I tend to avoid milk in most things. I'm not sure why, but even the slightest bit too much milk in something I can taste and dislike it! Therefore, I avoid, like the plague, any hot chocolates that you have to add milk to. Also being a coeliac, my choices of hot chocolate are limited, and, up until the past couple of years, I just didn't have hot chocolate because I could never find anything suitable. However.... that has all changed....!


The picture above shows Nestlé's Aero Bubbles hot choc, Options Belgian choc orange hot chocolate, and Cadbury's highlights caramel hot chocolate, but I have also tried and tested the Galaxy Instant Hot Chocolate (which had already been drank before this picture was taken- oopsy!)
As you probably realise, I absolutely loved the galaxy hot chocolate, and I am so glad it's gluten free! Any fans of galaxy chocolate will definitely love it because it just tastes amazing! Plus, what I have just discovered from looking on their website, Galaxy does a whole range of hot chocolate flavours, including one called Galaxy Ripple Hot Chocolate, which is also gluten free and looks scrumptious! I will definitely be hunting for that one next time I go food shopping!
Next, I tried the Cadbury highlights Caramel hot chocolate. I had already previously had the normal Cadbury's hot chocolate and their fudge hot chocolate, both of which I had enjoyed, so I was intrigued and excited to try out the caramel- I wasn't disappointed. It was so yummy and the smell that came from the pot was just so inviting!
Options hot chocolate next. I had already had this orange one before, along with loads of the other hot chocolate flavours they do, and the fact that I keep going back to this one just shows how yummy it is! I personally love orange chocolate, so this is my favourite flavour of all the hot chocolates I had this month!
Lastly, Aero Bubbles hot chocolate. This one was amazing. Although it is not the most exciting of flavours compared to the other ones I tried, I still loved the taste, and what made it possibly my favourite hot chocolate of all of them is the bubbles. On the packaging it says 'making the world a bubblier place' and seriously they do not lie- this hot chocolate is so bubbly and foamy, and that makes me a very happy hot chocolate drinker. Also, I found that, out of all the hot chocolates I had, the powder dissolved the best in this one, because I never had any clumps of soggy hot chocolate powder at the bottom of my mug. It is a wonderful hot chocolate!

BREAKFAST:

I struggle to find things I want to eat for breakfast, because I tend to avoid things like cereal, because I don't like milk, and toast, because it's a bit too heavy for me to eat for breakfast, which only really leaves me with fruit. I used to just eat a banana or an apple for breakfast, and still do sometimes, because it's quick, healthy, filling, and gives me enough energy to keep me going, but I quickly become bored of having the same thing over and over again. However, after going to a local GF fair with my Dad last year, I discovered Nairn's Gluten Free Biscuit Breaks which then became part of my breakfast meal. 

















Inside one box are 4 pouches, each with four oat biscuits inside. For breakfast I tend to have one of these pouches and cut one banana up into about 16 slices, with 3-4 banana slices piled on each biscuit. I have only tried the 'oats and syrup' and 'oats and fruit' ones, both of which are really yummy with banana for breakfast. (As for the chocolate chip ones, I have not seen these sold in supermarkets, so if you find them and try them you'll have to let me know if they're any good!)

SNACKS:

In August I received the Autumn/Winter issue of Crossed Grain and discovered a GF brand I had not heard of before- Udi's. The advertisement inside the magazine was showing Udi's range of bagels, and I instantly got excited! I went to their website and jotted down which supermarkets stocked these bagels, and the next time my Mum and I were in Tesco's I headed straight to the GF aisle and found that the shelf of Udi's bagels had been nearly wiped clean, with only a couple of the chocolate chip bagels left. I grabbed a pack and was then uber excited to try them, and they did not disappoint! With the chocolate chip ones, I just cut them in half and ate them straight from the packet, but I'm sure you could heat them up or toast them if you wanted. Either way you have them, I think they taste amazing and you should definitely try these! I will most certainly be looking for Udi's products in the future.

The next snack I'm reviewing was found and brought home by my Mum. My Mum is always quite tentative when buying new GF foods for me, because, as I have said, I am a fussy eater and it takes a lot to get me to like things! Nevertheless, she brought these home thinking that if I didn't eat it, she'd be happy to have them herself or give them to my Dad. When she came back form shopping that day with these Wellaby's Lentil Chips, she left them by my toaster so that I could see them and would remember to try them. Now, I must admit, I was unsure about them, and it wasn't until a week later that I thought I should give them a try, because otherwise it would be a waste of food and money. So I opened the packet and found that, in fact, I LOVED them! This first packet I tried was the Sea Salt flavour, and I have since tried the black pepper ones, both of which are lovely, and they are now one of my favourite snacks. So thank you to my Mum for buying them, because I have discovered a new GF brand and a new snack that I really like!


MAIN:

I'm going to keep this section brief because I'm thinking of doing an extended pizza base review on different pizzas and pizza bases from a range of GF brands, but I couldn't do this post without mentioning the return of a pizza base to supermarkets. Up until about a year ago, I would buy DS gluten free pizza bases, but then they suddenly seemed to disappear from supermarket shelves, and we couldn't find them anywhere. Then, about a week-or-so ago my Mum and I saw them once again, and I was ecstatic and bought 3 boxes! I would definitely recommend that, if you see them, you buy them, or, if you prefer a pizza with toppings already on, then buy one from their range of frozen pizza's which are ready to cook- go check them out!


PUDDING:

Tesco's have made my life very happy this month because of a product I found on their shelves in the GF food section! I remember in Primary school watching my fellow classmates taking out of their lunchboxes 'Angel Cake' slices, and I would look on longingly, wondering what those pretty looking cakes tasted like...
About a decade later, I have found out what those magical pink and cream cakes taste like... and it's wonderful!

Tesco Free From have made my childhood dreams come true and created a box of 5 Gluten Free Angel Cake Slices! Tesco Free From you are wonderful- thank you for creating such an amazing product.
(If you hadn't already guessed, I love this product and would definitely recommend it!)

So, those were all the Gluten Free products I tried in August/September. I hope this has enlightened those of you following the gluten-free diet, and given you some new products or brands to have a look at. I will certainly be continuing to buy these products, but also hope to discover more this next month.
As I said earlier in this post, I am planning on having a look and testing out GF pizzas and pizza bases from different brands and giving a review of those at some point, but also, if there are any other GF food types/brands/products  you would like me to review, then by all means leave me a comment on this post and I will see what I can do. Or, if you've in fact just discovered a new product or have a particular favourite GF product, then please let me know, because I'd be interested to see what everyone else likes!

Also, thank you very much if you've read this, you are a wonderful person! :)

-- Ash Cam.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© AshCam. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig